Maritime Gazetteer of Australia
The Maritime Gazetteer of Australia (MGA) is a searchable database containing all the place names used in Australia's official navigational charts.
Positions relating to a feature name are displayed to the nearest minute of latitude and longitude together with a limited number of other attributes, such as all the charts that include each name. The MGA does not provide the gazetted geographic position of features.
Place names contained in Australia's official navigational charts for the Australian mainland, offshore territories, Antarctica and PNG are in the MGA. The MGA is updated and enhanced as new charts are published.
The MGA database currently displays the following fields:
- Feature Name: The Name as it appears on the official navigational chart.
- Feature Type: This shows the Code of the feature type which the name represents. For details see the Feature Code Index.
- Latitude and Longitude: The position of the name on the chart. Note this is not necessarily the position of the feature itself, which may only lie partially on the chart (for example an ocean).
- Charts on which the name appears.
- Grouping: This field shows the association of a collection of features to a group (for example a collection of Islands which form an Island Group).
The MGA can be searched online by Feature Name.
Commonwealth of Australia 2017
This work is copyright. Apart from uses permitted under the Copyright Act, no part may be reproduced by any process, communicated, adapted or reduced to any electronic medium or commercially exploited without prior written permission from the Commonwealth represented by the Australian Hydrographic Service.
Requests and inquiries concerning reproduction and rights should be addressed to the Licensing and Contracts Manager, Australian Hydrographic Office, Locked Bag 8801, Wollongong NSW 2500 or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also read about our licensing terms and conditions.